Ethiopia Conflict – level 2
There was a military conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray State.
Ethiopia’s soldiers fought with local forces and they won. Ethiopia’s prime minister said that the forces killed hundreds of people. It was very violent and it made many people run away to Sudan. Ethiopia’s government asked people to donate blood to help save people who were injured in the conflict.
Witnesses said that local forces were responsible for the deaths, but the soldiers said that it was not true. It was not possible to find out what really happened.
Ethiopia’s government appointed a new president of Tigray State. The government accused the past president of terrorism and other acts that were bad for the country.
Difficult words: conflict (a fight, a war, a battle), donate (to give something to somebody who needs it more), appoint (to formally make somebody start a job), accuse (to say that somebody did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos