Europe pipe leaks – level 2
In early September, Russia shut down Nord Stream 1, an important European gas pipeline.
The action was to answer the West’s sanctions of Russia over the war in Ukraine. Nord Stream 1 and 2 transported Russian gas to Europe, and they were very important for Europe’s energy security.
On Tuesday, Danish and Swedish scientists detected activity in the Baltic Sea, which maybe were explosions. Later, the Danish military found a big area of gas bubbles near the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipes.
Some European leaders said that the activity was sabotage, and Sweden started to investigate the incidents. The Baltic Sea was between 80 and 110 meters deep, which wasn’t enough for submarines. A submarine probably didn’t cause the damage by accident.
Difficult words: sanction (a consequence for a country which breaks international laws), energy security (the situation of enough energy for people and businesses), sabotage (international damage for political or military reasons).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos