Expensive oil – level 1
Oil is getting more expensive. The price is the highest since 2008.
Crude oil is natural oil which comes from the ground. The price of crude oil is the most important. It changes the prices of oil and fuel. One barrel of crude oil usually costs around 100 dollars.
In July 2008, the price is 147.5 dollars. It is the highest price in history. Experts say that the price of crude oil can be 200 dollars soon.
Why is oil so expensive? Russia attacks Ukraine. The US and EU want Russia to stop. They stop importing Russia’s oil. They think that Russia will stop the war. When the US and EU don’t have oil from Russia, they won’t have enough oil. It means that oil will be even more expensive.
Difficult words: fuel (material such as oil, gas, or wood, which people use to make energy), barrel (a container or 159 liters), import (to bring things into a country from another country, and sell them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.