Expensive Trains in England – level 3
A cost-conscious teen wanted to travel from Sheffield in northern England to Essex, which was around 300 kilometres from his location. He wanted to travel home by train but was ‘absolutely astonished at the price’.
He then found out that it was actually cheaper to get a bus and a train from Sheffield to East Midlands Airport, get a flight to Berlin, Germany, fly from Berlin to Stansted, London, and then get a bus back home.
All those extra 1,600 kilometres saved Brian a few pennies, but took him 13 hours from door-to-door. However, the adventurous teenager made his point as well as enjoyed the experience. He said that he would definitely do it again.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Why do you think the train fares in England are so expensive?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.