Exxon buys Pioneer – level 3
Exxon Mobil has agreed to acquire US rival Pioneer Natural Resources in an all-stock deal valued at 59.5 billion dollars, making it the largest producer in the largest US oilfield, the Permian Basin.
The deal combines the largest US oil company with Pioneer, a significant player in the shale revolution that made the US the world’s largest oil producer in just over a decade. The merged company aims to increase oil and gas production significantly and cut greenhouse gas emissions by combining Exxon’s technology with Pioneer’s lower operational costs. Pioneer CEO Scott Sheffield will join Exxon’s board; however, the leadership of the combined operation is yet to be determined.
The deal is expected to close in early 2024, and it doesn’t foresee antitrust challenges.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the environmental and economic implications of the Exxon Mobil-Pioneer Natural Resources merger?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.