Facebook Scandal – level 1
There is a scandal about Facebook. Companies misuse the data of about 50 million people.
It happens like this. People take a Facebook quiz. Facebook takes data about the person and all of that person’s friends. The company that makes the quiz says that the data is for science.
However, the company uses the data differently. People say that the company uses it in the Trump campaign in the USA. The company makes ads and fake news.
About 2.2 billion people are on Facebook. However, some people are leaving it now. They do not feel that their data is safe.
Difficult words: scandal (when people find out that somebody does something wrong), misuse (use in a wrong or a bad way), data (information), fake news (something that is made up and people want you to think is true.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.