Facebook Warning Messages – level 2
Facebook is testing a new tool, which can send users alerts in case of an emergency. Facebook is rolling it out in the USA by the end of the year.
Facebook says that local governments already used this tool to send alerts during Hurricane Barry when someone went missing or when there was a gas leak. In Facebook’s own survey of 2,000 users, 73% of users learned something new, and 43% took action after seeing the alert.
However, one American organization says that people also should have weather radios. Their batteries last longer, some models have solar panels, and some have a piece that you can turn to make electricity. For example, that could be very useful because in Puerto Rico people did not have electricity for 11 months after Hurricane Maria hit them two years ago.
Difficult words: alert (a warning, information about something dangerous), roll out (let everyone use it for the first time), survey (a set of questions that you answer so that Facebook gets some information from you).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos