Factory Cannot Open – level 3
Tesla’s CEO, Elon Musk, has threatened to pull the company out of California. The reason is that Alameda County, where Tesla has a factory, chose not to allow factories to reopen yet.
California’s stay-at-home order for the coronavirus started in late March, and some parts of the state have been allowed to ease restrictions. However, new official information released on Thursday allowed manufacturing operations to reopen, depending on the judgment of county health officials. Officials decided not to allow reopening in Alameda County, and Musk claimed that Tesla would move to Nevada or Texas because these states are less restrictive than California.
The county said that it had been working with Tesla to make a safety plan. However, the company claims that the county’s health officials have not returned calls or emails.
Difficult words: stay-at-home order (a law that says that you cannot go out from your home until it is safe), judgment (an official legal decision based on careful thought), restrictive (limiting).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos