Farewell to Arms – level 1
Criminals in Brazil have powerful weapons. They have them illegally. Police often take the weapons.
In Rio, the police take 400 big weapons. There is a campaign against weapons. People want to be safe.
The police put 2,000 illegal weapons on the ground. Then as team roller rolls over them. The weapons are destroyed.
Difficult words: powerful (big, dangerous), weapon (a thing that people can use to hurt other people like a gun), campaign (when people work to make a goal happen), team roller (a big machine which people use to make roads and to crush things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.