Fashion Industry – level 1
People like to wear fashionable clothes. They still buy new clothes. The fashion industry is a big business. But it has a big impact on the environment.
The fashion industry makes 20% of the world’s wastewater. Wastewater is dirty water from factories and houses. The fashion industry needs a lot of clean water, too. It takes about 7,500 liters of water to make a pair of jeans.
People throw away a lot of clothes. They throw away one garbage truck of clothes every second. These clothes often end up in landfills.
Some companies start to make sustainable clothes. Sustainable clothes are more friendly to the environment. Companies reuse material to make new clothes. They use modern ways to make clothes.
Difficult words: impact (a big change), garbage truck (a big car that goes from house to house, and it takes away things that people do not want), landfill (a hole in the ground where people put things that they do not want).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.