Feeding babies – level 2
When a baby is born, the mother can decide if she wants to breastfeed her child or use formula milk.
Breastfeeding has many benefits, but it is not always easy. The WHO says that 50% of women don’t breastfeed for as long as their babies need. Many things make breastfeeding difficult, for example, no help in hospitals or no lactation rooms at work. Also, women often have to return to work, so they stop breastfeeding.
The formula is an alternative to breastfeeding. But experts say that formula companies mislead women. Formula ads say that children, who drink formula, sleep better, are calmer, or are even more intelligent. Doctors get money from formula companies when they prescribe their products. According to experts, many women believe that formula is better than breastfeeding, and it must change.
Difficult words: formula milk (a white powder that you mix with warm water and feed a baby with it), lactation room (a place where a mother can pump milk out of her breasts), mislead (to make someone believe something that is not true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any benefits to breastfeeding over formula drinking?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.