Fewer people use London subway – level 1
Fewer people use London’s subway and buses. The reason is the new omicron variant of COVID-19. There are very many people who have omicron.
The City is the name of London’s financial center. Thousands of people travel here every day. Now, some people want to work from home. They do not want to be ill before Christmas.
Companies also say that it is better to work from home right now. The number of subway travelers goes down last week. Fewer people travel by bus, too. The change is not very big. Many children travel to school by bus. Schools are still open in the UK.
The British leader changes the rules for people. Some people want even stronger rules. The leader is afraid. Some of his people say that they will not support him.
Difficult words: subway (underground trains in a city), reason (why something happens), omicron variant of COVID-19 (another type of the illness COVID-19; a variant can be dangerous), support (to help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.