Fire in a refugee camp – level 2
In 2017, the Myanmar military took strong action against Rohingya Muslims, who were a minority group in the country.
Last year, US officials said that there was genocide in Myanmar, and thousands of Rohingyas died. In August 2017, more than one million people fled to Bangladesh, because it was too dangerous for them to stay. Since that time, they lived in refugee camps. Bangladesh tried to send Rohingyas back to Myanmar, but it didn’t work.
On Sunday, a big fire hit the Bukhali camp, which was home to 1.2 million people. Many of them lost their home and all their things. According to officials, nobody died in the fire, and firefighters had the fire under control.
Difficult words: minority group (a group of people of different races or religions who are part of a larger group), genocide (killing many people of a different race or nation), flee (to run away from a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What efforts are being made to help the Rohingya people who have been displaced?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos