Fire in a refugee camp – level 3
On Sunday, a massive fire hit a crammed refugee camp in Bangladesh.
The Bukhali camp for Rohingya Muslims is home to 1.2 million people, many of whom have lost their homes and belongings in the blaze. No casualties were immediately reported, and according to police, firefighters were at the site and the blaze was under control.
In August 2017, more than one million Rohingya refugees have fled to Bangladesh from Myanmar when the Myanmar military launched a brutal crackdown. Last year, the US said that the oppression of Rohingya in Myanmar amounts to genocide after it confirmed that the military had committed mass atrocities against the ethnic minority group.
Conditions in Myanmar have worsened since a military takeover in 2021, and attempts to send the refugees back have failed.
Difficult words: casualty (a person killed or injured in a war or accident), genocide (the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group), atrocity (an extremely cruel or violent act).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think should be done to improve the situation for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos