Fire in California – level 2
On Monday, a wildfire started in Santa Barbara Country, California. The flames already burnt at least 3,300 acres, and they are moving fast because of high winds.
Firefighters try to get the fire under control, but they are not successful. The fire did not destroy any buildings, but many buildings are in danger.
The Santa Barbara County wants to declare a state of emergency. The California governor says that officials monitor the situation and they are ready to start mandatory evacuations.
Difficult words: declare (to say something officially), a state of emergency (when a government says that an emergency happened so the government can get money to help), monitor (to watch), mandatory (something that is necessary by law).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos