Fire in Kyoto – level 2
In Kyoto, Japan, about 70 people were inside a three-storey building when a man set it on fire. At least 33 people died and many more were injured.
The building was one of Japan’s most popular anime studios, Kyoto Animation. People know it for anime series like ‘Full Metal Panic!’ and ‘K-On!’.
Police arrested the arsonist. People say that he screamed ‘die’ as he started the fire. The police say that he is not a current or former employee of the studio.
The New York Times says that this is one of the most tragic fires in recent Japanese history. In 2001, a deadlier fire happened in Tokyo when 44 people died.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.