Fire in Kyoto – level 3
In Kyoto, Japan, about 70 people were inside a three-storey building when a man set it ablaze. At least 33 people died and dozens more were injured.
The building was one of Japan’s most popular anime studios, Kyoto Animation, and it was best known for anime series like ‘Full Metal Panic!’ and ‘K-On!’.
Police arrested the arsonist, and he reportedly screamed ‘die’ as he started the fire. The police say that he is not a current or former employee of the studio.
According to The New York Times, the fire is one of the most tragic in recent Japanese history. In 2001, a deadlier one happened in Tokyo, and it killed 44 people.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.