Fires in South Korea – level 2
There are big wildfires in South Korea. Thousands of people evacuate, fires destroy more than 100 homes, they injure eleven people, and at least two people died.
People say that it is possible that a spark from a transformer started the fire last Thursday. Due to strong winds, the fire grew quickly. By Friday, it had burned more than 1,300 acres of land.
Difficult words: wildfire (a large fire which burns trees, bushes and grass), spark (a small piece of fire or ‘electricity’ which can start a big fire), transformer (a machine for changing one type of electricity to another).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos