Fires in South Korea – level 3
South Korea declared a national emergency after massive wildfires spread across the country. Thousands of people evacuated, fires destroyed more than 100 homes, fires injured eleven people, and at least two people have died.
The BBC reported that a spark from a transformer in a city northeast of Seoul probably started the fire last Thursday. The fire then quickly spread from strong winds – it burned more than 1,300 acres of land.
The military joined the firefighters to battle the flames. They contained one fire, but half-contained a second one by Friday.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.