Fish from a lab – level 2
Salmon is the most eaten fish in the world, and the number of salmon in oceans is going down very quickly. At the same time, salmon farms are having troubles because sea water is getting warmer.
A company in San Francisco, US, came up with an interesting idea. It makes salmon in a lab where it grows in special tanks. Experts use real salmon cells which grow and they look like real meat. The color and texture are very similar and it tastes good, too.
This salmon does not have anything that most fish have nowadays. Since oceans water is dirty, fish have many dangerous things, for example microplastics and mercury.
Difficult words: cell (the smallest part of a living thing), microplastic (a very small piece of plastic which are in water and they are dangerous to people and animals), mercury (a silver heavy metal which is very dangerous to living things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.