Fishermen Catch a Big Fish – level 2
A group of fishermen in Peru caught a huge fish. The fish weighed over a tonne and was eight metres long. People call this type of fish the manta ray.
One fisherman described how they caught the fish. It swam into their nets which were towed by their homemade boat. The fish was, of course, too big for their boat, so a tow truck transported it.
Sailors believed that manta rays ate fish and sank boats. They were afraid of them. The perception began to change in the late 1970’s – sailors started to understand that manta rays are calm and not dangerous.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like to fish?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.