Five journalists die in Mexico this year – level 3
Someone shot a journalist in the southern state of Oaxaca on Thursday, the fifth killed in Mexico this year, and the third in two weeks.
Officials confirmed that the victim was Heber López, the director of the online news site Noticias Web. Police held the two suspects in custody, and they recovered a gun from them. The two men walked into López’s recording studio, and they shot him. Reportedly, his 12-year-old son was there but uninjured.
López covered crime and police news, and he regularly wrote about politics and corruption in the local government. López worked in the port city of Salina Cruz, and he received death threats in 2019. According to another journalist and López’s friends, he never told them about the threats. However, they believed the killing was a response to his work.
According to a human rights organization called Article 19, people killed at least 145 journalists in Mexico from 2000 to 2021, which made the country one of the deadliest for journalists.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.