Flooding in Iran – level 2
It started raining heavily in Iran in March. The rain caused flooding and destroyed almost 2,000 cities and villages.
Thousands of people had to move, and at least 70 people died. Around 140 rivers burst their banks, there were landslides, and many things were damaged. It will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to repair everything. The Iranian Red Crescent is helping people by evacuating them and giving them tents, blankets and medicine.
The IFRC (an international organisation which helps people) said that it sent Iran $500,000, but Iran says that it never got the money. The speaker of Iran’s Parliament said that it did not get a dollar because of American sanctions on Iran.
Difficult words: flooding (big water), burst a bank (there was too much water in the river, so the water got over the banks – the side of the river where the water normally stops), sanctions (blocking a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.