Foie gras from a lab – level 2
Foie gras is a fatty duck or goose liver, and for many people, it is a delicacy. It is a part of French tradition, and people cannot imagine any holidays without foie gras.
Now more and more people are concerned about the way how farmers make foie gras. Farmers feed ducks and geese several times every day and they use metal tubes. It is a very cruel and painful method, and many people decided not to eat foie gras because of this. Some countries even stopped making or sellling it.
A French startup now makes foie gras in a lab. The company uses duck stem cells to grow the foie gras. Some people say that foie gras from a lab tastes the same as real foie gras. More than 70 startups in the world are making meat or other animal products in a lab. It is more friendly to the natural world and animals do not need to suffer.
Difficult words: delicacy (something pleasing to eat what people consider special), startup (a company which is just beginning to make a business), stem cell (the smallest part of the body which can develop into many other different parts).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.