France and Britain migration deal – level 2
Britain left the EU in January 2020, and since that time the country’s relations with France were more difficult.
Last week, the two countries made a deal which should make it easier for them to cooperate. In October 2022, Rishi Sunak became Britain’s Prime Minister. He wanted to stop migrants who arrived in England in small boats. Last year, 45,000 migrants from Afghanistan, Iran, and Syria arrived on the south coast of England, which was 500% more than two years before. Britain agreed to pay France 577 million dollars over three years to help stop people traveling across the Channel.
Britain will help build a detention center in France. France will deploy more officers and better technology to guard its beaches and stop the small boats with migrants.
Difficult words: detention center (a place where people who come to a country illegally must stay for some time), deploy (to bring into action), guard (to look after and keep safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What effect do you think the agreement between France and Britain will have on migration of people from Afghanistan, Iran, and Syria in the next three years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos