France and Britain migration deal – level 3
Relations between France and Britain had been strained by Britain’s departure from the EU; however, on Friday, the two allies took a major step to end years of bickering in the post-Brexit era.
Britain will pay France around 577 million dollars over three years to try to stop migrants traveling in small boats across the Channel. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has made stopping small boats a priority since he started in office in October. The number of migrants arriving on the south coast of England soared to more than 45,000 last year, up to 500% in the last two years.
Sunak proposed new legislation to bar people arriving in small boats from claiming asylum; however, he needs France’s cooperation to intercept the boats and break the people trafficking rings behind the flow of arrivals from Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, and others. As part of the new deal, Britain will help fund a detention center in Paris while France will deploy more French personnel and enhanced technology to patrol its beaches.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications do you think this new agreement will have on relations between France and Britain in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.