France Wins World Cup – level 3
France won the World Cup for the second time last Sunday, beating Croatia 4–2. There were largely peaceful celebrations around Paris but some turned violent. Fans threw flares and fireworks at riot police who tried to disperse them.
The French football players arrived home the following day and showed off their World Cup trophy while taking part in an open-top bus victory parade along the Champs-Elysees in Paris. Hundreds of thousands of people gathered to welcome back the country’s champions. There was even a fly-past of nine jets, trailing blue, white and red smoke.
The football players then went to a garden party hosted by the President Emmanuel Macron.
Difficult words: flare (a thing which burns very bright), riot police (police who breaks up riots – violent protests), disperse (break up, make go home), gather (come in large numbers), fly-past (when planes fly close to the ground), trail (draw behind).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.