Free Internet – level 2
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) canceled the rules for a neutral Internet and a court confirmed it. In the past, the FCC had control over states and their Internet laws. FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said that this was against the law, and there must be free and open Internet for everybody. The FCC must check if the new situation will be a problem for public safety.
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is happy with the court’s decision. He says that the Internet is free, and promised that it will be free in the future, too.
Since 2015, the Internet was neutral, but the FCC voted and regulated the neutrality in 2017.
Difficult words: commission (an official group of people with special authority), neutral (something that no one controls), confirm (say something is true), regulate (make a law or control something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos