French baguette gets UNESCO status – level 2
Last week, UNESCO added the French baguette to the list of cultural heritage.
France makes around 16 million baguettes every day, but the number of traditional French bakeries is dropping. Every year, around 400 bakeries close, and the French government hopes that with the new status, the baguette will become popular again. The government plans to create a baguette day to make the French proud of their traditional product.
French president Emmanuel Macron visited the French Embassy in the United States last week. He was very excited about the news, and he said that the French baguette was more than just a piece of bread. Macron said that the baguette represented the bakers and the future for French children.
Difficult words: cultural heritage (things or buildings which people get from past generations), traditional (something that people do for a long time without change), status (an official position).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos