French city wants Madonna’s painting – level 3
The mayor of Amiens, France, appealed to the singer Madonna to loan the city a painting that she allegedly recently purchased.
In a video appeal, Brigitte Fouré said that the early 19th-century painting is by Jérome-Martin Langlois called Diana and Endymion. It once hung in the local museum and the Louvre lent it to Amiens; however, the painting was lost without trace during World War I.
The mayor clarified she didn’t dispute the singer’s legal acquisition; however, Amiens was a candidate to be the European capital of culture for 2028. On this occasion, she asked Madonna to lend the city her painting, so that the inhabitants could rediscover this work and enjoy it.
Difficult words: without trace (without any evidence where someone or something is), dispute (to argue about something), acquisition (buy or get something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos