Fukushima Water in Ocean – level 2
In 2011, an earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, and they destroyed the Fukushima nuclear plant. There was a lot of wastewater in the plant, and the water was very dangerous.
Workers used some of the water to cool the plant after the disaster. But there was dangerous rainwater and groundwater, too, which the workers collected in big tanks. The problem was that there was too much water, and the water is dangerous for the workers.
The Japanese government plans to slowly dump the water into the sea. Scientists thought of other possibilities, but this one seems to be the safest. Fishermen in the area are not happy with the government’s plan. They worry that people will stop buying fish from them.
Difficult words: nuclear plant (a factory that breaks very small things called atoms to make power), wastewater (dirty water from homes and factories), dump (to get rid of something that you do not want anymore).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.