Gabon forests – level 1
Gabon is a special place. It is one of the last places in the world where you can see gorillas, leopards, or elephants. The largest forests are in Gabon. They are intact. It means that people don’t destroy them.
But the country has problems with money. In the past, Gabon gets a lot of money from oil. Now, there is not so much oil anymore. The government is looking for new ways to make money. One possibility is ecotourism. Workers are building a safari with small houses. Tourists can live there. It costs 2,000 dollars per night. Another possibility to make money is logging. But companies can cut down only a limited number of trees. It is important that the forest can regenerate.
Some people worry that new businesses will have a bad impact on their lives. They are afraid that they will not be able to fish, hunt and grow plants for food.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges do local communities face due to the proposed new businesses in Gabon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.