Gays and Lesbians Can Marry – level 3
Costa Rica became the first country in Central America and the sixth country in Latin America to allow same-sex marriages.
In 2018, the country´s Supreme Court ruled that a ban on same-sex marriages was unconstitutional, and the court gave lawmakers 18 months to pass new laws to legalize it. However, lawmakers did not do it, and same-sex marriage became legal automatically on May 26.
Same-sex couples celebrated the country´s decision by holding weddings overnight. The president, Carlos Alvarado Quesada, celebrated in a video message, and he said that this change would cause a significant social and cultural transformation of the country. He said it was a move forward in a country that had room for everyone.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.