Gaza tunnels – level 3
In an eight-week-long operation since October 27, Israeli forces discovered 800 shafts leading to Hamas’ extensive network of tunnels in Gaza.
Over half of these shafts have been destroyed. Hamas claimed to have a tunnel system comparable in size to the New York subway, serving as both protection and operational bases. Israeli strikes targeted these tunnels situated in civilian areas, often near or inside buildings like schools and mosques. The military employed penetrating munitions, mapping robots, and explosive gel to neutralize the passages.
Concerns about civilian casualties have prompted international worry, with the United States urging Israel to exercise caution. Of the 800 shafts found, 500 have been destroyed using various methods, including detonation and sealing off, along with damage to many miles of main tunnel routes.
Difficult words: penetrating (to get access to a place or system, especially when this is difficult to do), neutralize (to make something no longer effective or dangerous), detonation (making something explode).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What methods have the Israeli military used to destroy the 500 tunnels discovered in Gaza since October 27, 2023?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.