Genetic tests – level 1
Every person has a genetic code. A code is a list of letters. The genetic code is inside your body. It tells your body and brain how to grow.
Every genetic code has three billion letters. They are in a specific order. Sometimes, the order of the letters changes. This change is called a variation.
Scientists study these variations. People in one family can have similar variations. This situation tells us if someone is our relative.
Genetic test companies read the genetic code. They do it for different reasons. For example, an adopted child wants to find his or her parents. Sometimes, parents want to know if their baby will be healthy. Also, a person can learn if they will have a disease. For these reasons, genetic tests change people’s lives.
Difficult words: order (how things follow one another), relative (a person who belongs to the same family), adopted (when someone takes someone else’s child and cares for him or her).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos