George Soros hands control to his son – level 3
Billionaire investor George Soros has announced that he is passing control of his vast empire to his son, Alexander Soros.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Soros, known for his philanthropy and support for liberal causes, explained that he had previously not wanted any of his five children to take over his Open Society Foundations (OSF).
However, he’s now decided to hand over the foundation and his 25-billion-dollar empire to his 37-year-old son, stating that he’s earned it. Alexander Soros, who describes himself as more political than his father, plans to continue supporting left-leaning US political candidates and expand the foundation’s focus to include voting and abortion rights, as well as gender equity.
As the chairman of OSF and president of his father’s political action committee, he will oversee the distribution of approximately 1.5 billion dollars annually to organizations promoting human rights and democracy worldwide.
Difficult words: empire (a large organization owned or controlled by one person or group), philanthropy (the generous donation of money to good causes), foundation (an organization that provides support for something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact do you think Alexander Soros' leadership of the Open Society Foundations will have on its ongoing philanthropy and political activism?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.