German farmers protest – level 3
In Berlin, approximately 30,000 farmers, supported by representatives from various industries, protested against the German government’s decision to cut agricultural fuel subsidies.
The protest caused a significant disruption in the city center. The president of the German farmers’ union urged the government to reconsider, warning of potential bankruptcies among farmers. Finance Minister Christian Lindner, who played a key role in the subsidy cut, faced boos and whistles during his address.
The protests, extending from tractors blocking streets to demonstrations at Amazon and Aldi facilities, highlighted broader discontent, with the far-right Alternative für Deutschland accused of contributing to the anger. Some protesters demanded government dissolution and new elections.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What were some of the actions taken during the Berlin protests?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.