Germany has problems with money – level 3
The German government is facing a fiscal crisis due to the Constitutional Court’s cancellation of 60 billion euros in spending from a climate and transformation fund, leading to the suspension of the debt brake.
This temporary relief poses long-term challenges for three reasons. Firstly, the austerity measures in a contracting economy will impact the 2024 budget. Secondly, prolonged legal and economic uncertainties will hinder businesses and households, affecting private investment and savings. Lastly, the risk of lower public investment threatens Germany’s long-term prosperity.
The need for increased public investment clashes with the country’s historical fiscal restraint, potentially leading to a higher debt-to-GDP ratio.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How might the German government reconcile its historic fiscal restraint with the need for additional public investment to ensure long-term economic prosperity?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.