Germany Shooting – level 2
On Wednesday, a man attacked two bars in Hanau, Germany. Hanau is a city that lies about 12 miles from Frankfurt. The man shot nine people, and he injured several other people. Officials say that some of the victims were Iranian.
The police used street cameras and people’s reports to identify the man. The man was 43 years old, and the police found him dead in his home. In the house, the police also found his mother who is dead, too.
Officials investigate the shooting as terrorism. They say that the man had strong political ideas and that he did not agree with Germany’s immigration policy.
Difficult words: victim (a person who is killed or injured in an accident or in a criminal act), identify (to find out who somebody is), immigration policy (how a country solves the situation when foreign people want to come and stay in the country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.