Giorgia Meloni and migration – level 2
Italy’s far-right prime minister Giorgia Meloni got to power one year ago. She promised to deal with illegal migration from Africa, but she failed.
Italy is an important destination for people who are coming to Europe, and their numbers are growing. If EU leaders don’t find a solution, Meloni plans to use the migration topic to get support in the EU elections. Meloni is not as controversial as she was a year ago. She became more popular because she made Italy a more stable country. Yet, many people don’t believe this change.
Meloni supports Ukraine and pushes for deals in Africa. She built new relationships with leaders like Joe Biden and Volodymyr Zelenskiy. But she also got closer to far-right Viktor Orbán from Hungary.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How might a continued push from Meloni on the migration topic affect the European Union's plans for managing incoming migration in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.