Goats stop fires – level 2
Farmers in California, US, use goats to stop fires which are becoming more and more frequent in the southwestern part of the US.
How does it work? Farmers get goats which eat dry grass and brush. Goats can get to rocky cliffs and to other places where cows or sheep cannot get. Goats can stretch their necks up to 2 meters, and they bite branches and leaves. One goat which weighs 45 kilograms can eat 5.5 kilograms of brush.
Companies or people pay money to ranchers who bring their goats in trailers. It is a good business for ranchers and a big help for people who are afraid of wildfires.
Difficult words: frequent (when something happens often), brush (a lot of plants), branch (a part of a tree on which green leaves grow), rancher (a person who runs a large farm and he keeps animals there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.