Gold under water – level 3
About 1.3 million dollars’ worth of treasure has been recovered from a shipwreck in the Atlantic Ocean.
A deep-ocean exploration company in Florida says it has recovered nearly 1,000 ounces (28.3 kilograms) of gold from the ship which had 21 tons of gold aboard at the time of its sinking in 1857. The dive confirmed the ship had not been disturbed since 1991 when another company stopped recovery work.
“During the first reconnaissance dive, we actually picked up several gold items. We had five gold bars that totalled 1,000 ounces in weight. We also picked up two mid-1800s 20 dollar gold pieces.”
The two $20 Double Eagle coins discovered are said to fetch an average of $5,000 from collectors.
The sinking, caused by a hurricane off the coast of South Carolina, sparked a huge financial crisis in America, dubbed the Panic of 1857, which lasted several years.
Difficult words: treasure (valuable things like gold), reconnaissance (recovery), dubbed (named).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.