Gossip is Good – level 3
Those who feel a little guilty about gossiping may be pleased to know that academics have now said that it is actually what sets our species apart from animals.
Gossip is what makes people human, because it allows us to pass on vital information on who to trust and who not to trust, as well as bond with family and friends.
In evolutionary biology, scientists call the phenomenon gossip theory. The theory suggests that as language developed, it allowed early humans to pass on reliable information so that they could live in ever-increasing groups. Gossiping used to be simply what people did with their friends and was not used in a negative sense until the 18th century.
Scientists carried out experiments to find out what people thought about gossips, and the results were that while people distrust those who gossip too much, they were also wary of those who gossip too little.
Professor Robin Dunbar at Oxford University even said that we should accept gossiping as a vital part of human life, which might even help us live longer. He said that the most important thing apart from not smoking that will prevent you from dying early is the size of your social network.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you like to gossip?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.