Graduates Wear Masks – level 1
People in Hong Kong protest. They want the right to vote and independent police. Some people wear masks. This makes it difficult for police to identify the protesters. In October, the government stops masks during protests.
There is a graduation ceremony at Hong Kong university. Graduates do not agree with the government´s reaction to the protests. They decide to wear masks during the graduation ceremony. They come to the graduation room. They sing protest songs. They hold banners. The official of a student organization says that students want to have the right to say what they want.
University officials do not stop the graduation ceremony. However, they make it shorter.
Difficult words: identify (to say who people are), graduation ceremony (an official ending of studies at a university), banner (a piece of cloth or paper with some words or sentences that people hold during protests).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.