Graduates Wear Masks – level 2
In Hong Kong, there are protests which last many months. Demonstrators want the right to vote and independent police. In October, the government said that demonstrators cannot wear face masks.
As a reaction, students wore masks at a graduation ceremony at Hong Kong University. They held banners and sang protest songs. The official of the university’s student union said that the students did it because they wanted to fight for their right to speak freely.
University officials did not cancel the graduation ceremony, but they stopped it after they handed out the diplomas.
The police did not arrest anybody during the ceremony.
Difficult words: banner (a piece of cloth with a slogan that people hold at demonstrations), diploma (a piece of paper that a student gets after he or she finishes his or her studies successfully), arrest (to put in prison).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.