Greek olive growers have problems – level 3
Greek olive growers, who are facing a challenging harvest, are confronting a rise in thefts as prices increase.
Panagiotis Tsafaras, a seasoned grower, has experienced thefts twice, losing over a ton of olives in one incident. Such thefts are unprecedented in the region, prompting growers to take measures like installing cameras, and GPS trackers, and even considering private security. Thieves operate mainly at night, and they employ various tactics, such as using rods to knock olives off trees or silent electric chainsaws to cut entire branches. This surge in olive theft is a nationwide issue, confirmed by Greek police.
Greece, the world’s third-largest olive oil producer, is known for its high-quality extra virgin variety. This year’s production is anticipated to drop by up to 50% due to adverse weather conditions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures are Greek olive growers taking to combat the rise in thefts as prices increase?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.