Greenland Is Losing Ice – level 1
This week, scientists come up with a new study. The study is about Greenland. Greenland is the biggest island in the world. It is full of ice. However, something bad is happening. The ice is melting. It is turning into water.
Last year, 586 billion tons of Greenland’s ice melt. It is a lot of ice. It is the same amount as 140 trillion gallons of water. It is not easy to imagine the amount. Greenland’s ice increases the world’s sea level by 0.06 inches last year. It is a very big number.
Scientists say that climate change is the main problem. Our planet is getting warmer. Ice is melting. It is a problem for countries that are close to the sea. Some islands will be under water in the future.
Difficult words: melt (when ice turns into water), amount (a measure of something), increase (to make something bigger or larger), climate change (the change of our planet’s weather).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos