Grenade in the Face – level 1
This happens in Colombia. A soldier activates a grenade launcher. He does this by accident. A grenade flies outside the grenade launcher. It hits a man. It hits him in the face.
It gets stuck inside. It does not explode. The man goes to hospital. The hospital is in Bogota. He cannot fly in a helicopter. That is dangerous. The grenade can explode. He travels in an ambulance. It takes eight hours.
Doctors cannot operate on him inside the hospital. The grenade can still explode. They operate on him outside.
The operation is successful. The soldier is fine.
Difficult words: grenade launcher (a big gun which shoots things like grenades), get stuck (if something gets stuck somewhere, it gets in but cannot get out), successful (good).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos