Hamas attacks Israel – level 2
A big conflict started in Israel. On Saturday, Hamas launched a big surprise attack from Gaza. Soldiers fired thousands of rockets and they killed people in several Israeli towns.
Israel declared a war. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they would win. Many Israelis and Palestinians got hurt, and some Israelis were captured. Islamic Jihad also joined the fight, and people worry that the violence could spread to other places. The Israeli army called reservists to help because the situation is getting worse.
Soldiers in cars killed more than 260 people at a music festival on Saturday. Some people managed to run away or they pretended to be dead, but many were not lucky.
Difficult words: capture (to take someone as a prisoner), reservist (a person who trains as a soldier and is ready to fight if it is necessary), pretend (to behave as if something is true when you know that it is not).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What long-term effect could the conflict in Israel have on the region?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.