Hidden Van Gogh painting – level 2
At a Scottish museum, art experts found a new Van Gogh painting hidden in one of his paintings called “Head of a Peasant Woman.”
During an examination, they x-rayed it for information and to see if the painting had any earlier compositions underneath and instead found the new painting on the back. They believe someone covered the back in carboard before an art show in the early 1900s.
The painting is a self-portrait of Van Gogh. Experts believe that he painted it after he moved to France learned about French impressionism. They hope to repair the art piece and keep “Head of a Peasant Woman”, so they can show both art pieces.
Difficult words: x-ray (to use a machine to see inside something), composition (a new or old version of a piece of art), impressionism (art on movement, light, color, and feelings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.